Friday, January 7, 2011

Another Great Report on Fire Retardants

Fire Retardants
Manufacturers cover mattresses in fire retardants to counteract the flammability of their mattress chemicals. These fire retardant chemicals enter people’s systems, and as studies have shown, they can disrupt normal brain development in fetuses and infants.  This is bad news, because flame retardants have been found in disturbingly high concentrations in people’s blood and breast milk.  Mothers are passing these chemicals on to their children.
For example, CBS News reported on woman whose blood test revealed that she had 19 different flame retardant chemicals in her body. The same CBS article quoted an Environmental Protection Agency toxicologist, who was concerned about the effects fire retardants have on developing children.
The same toxicologist said research on young, developing animals has shown fire retardants affect their brains and reproductive systems.  It is safe to say the same would be true for human infants. It is best to avoid conventional mattresses. Take a peek at our wide selection of organic mattress at Organic Abode for you and your family! 

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited about www.organicabode.com new blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! I am learning so much. I had no idea that flame retardant chemicals could be found in breast milk. Scary stuff! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a successful business, Tammy! But this is actually from Peggy - hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Peggy!! I am excited as I am in the process of adding more products to my site... My children's clothes section is under construction! I hope this blog thing works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information. Thank you for offering the education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elisabeth,

    See if the manufacturers of the mattress is certified under the following:

    http://www.naomiorganics.com/ (my manufacturer Pure-Rest founded this company to keep checks and balances in place).

    Global Green USA

    EOK: Environmentally and Ecologically Good

    Co-op of America: Approved for People and Planet

    The mattresses I sell are my by Pure-Rest Organics and they have certifications in all of these. When in doubt, ask to see the manufactures certifications!! It is better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete